To help Celiac's by sharing my Gluten-Free experiences, research & recipes

Learning & Understanding the Gluten Free World





Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Shopping List Revised

I started out with simple things like G-Free breads and noodles, organic peanut butter, Suckers jams, assorted tea’s,condiments… well you get the picture. These items were to help make the foods I was preparing at home from natural food products taste better and help me feel satisfied which is hard for G-Free individuals.
BUT, I finally pushed myself to splurge and buy raw flours and other baking supplies so that I could save money in the end by making my own baked goods. The total cost of my shopping experience was $42.18 which, will last me longer than a month. The way I see it, is that, this is well worth the cost for my health and I will actually save money by baking breads/buns, muffins, cookies, pizza and sweet desserts. When I compare the cost of purchasing the ready made items from grocery stores.
The essential raw ingredients for baking and cooking are listed below.
Everything is Gluten-Free
~Organic Powdered Icing Sugar
~Brown Rice Flour
~Bean Flour
~Sorghum Flour
~Rice Bran
~Arrowroot Flour
~White Rice Flour
~Tapioca Flour
~Xanthan Gum
~Corn Starch
~Potato Starch (Note: Potato Flour is different-it is heavier)
~Carob Chips
Well, I am off the bake the buns and cookies...also to freeze the pizza crust and muffins so that I have them ready for when I need them!
NOTE: I shopped at my local Natural Foods Store who are intune with food sensitivites and were ready to answer any questions I had. They were very helpful. They told me that most flours, baking powder, xanthan gum and starches will only last up to 6months before they may get moist, mould, or loose their quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Your ideas, feedback & stories are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Western Gal