To help Celiac's by sharing my Gluten-Free experiences, research & recipes

Learning & Understanding the Gluten Free World





Thursday, January 7, 2010

Budget : Factoring in the G-Free Expense

I am gluten sensitive! I have been I guess for my whole life now that I look back but I didn't know it until 2002. I find that I gain weight when I eat any kind of carb (gluten or no gluten) such as g-free cookies, g-free pasta and the sort. So, I think it is best to eat natural foods, which are the basics - fruits, vegetables and meat. I have to admit that I crave that chocolate cookie or chocolate bar but I eat carbs in moderation just like anything else.

I cook for a family so I want the food to last a few meals to save me from cooking a fresh meal every night. This is what I do...Last night I cooked Shepard’s Pie, enough for everyone to have a normal sized portion (seconds if they wished!) last night and tonight we had the leftovers but a added a salad. I alternate cooking one day and baking the next. I end up with the meal and the dessert lasting for two nights which zig zag eachother. It's a win win!

I think that buying pre-made foods is a waste of money although I make sure I have a few of my favourites on had for those cravings that creep up on me. Earlier this month I stated that my goal was to eat g-free on a budget, which means natural items that are made into products in my home. This year my goal is to get organized with my g-free situation and make it work for my family budget. Buy g-free flours, and other baking items and an assortment of fruits, veggies and meats

Recipes will be the key to my success especially if I make enough baked goods and meals to freeze. Ian's makes breaded chicken and fish I was so glad to see these items in my local grocery store that I bought both even though they were very expensive. I had to taste them! Oh, my they are so delicious! I made rice and two vegetables to go with it and I actually felt full and satisfied! I was so happy but then I remembered the price. So, I am going to get a recipe and make my own breaded chicken and fish and freeze them for a satisfying supper. I will test it out and I will post the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Your ideas, feedback & stories are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Western Gal