To help Celiac's by sharing my Gluten-Free experiences, research & recipes

Learning & Understanding the Gluten Free World





Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Vacation S.O.S

I went away for March Break, thinking I was prepared for any G-Free situation I ran into!

Boy was I WRONG!!!!

It seems that everything I do concerning G-Free is expensive! How can I change this problem?

Tips on being organized before going on a trip and being prepared while away.
#1. El Peto factory outlet in Cambridge is cheaper than buying in grocery stores and they have other products too. They are the Glutino distributor for the tri-city area.

#2. I find it easier to buy recipe books from chapters, they are cheaper to buy online than in the store! [Although I borrow them from the library first and make a few recipes before purchasing!] I make mixes myself from the many G-Free recipe books out there. I just mix all the flours and powders and gums together in a large plastic container and scoop out what I need when baking or cooking. It takes time but is much cheaper. I order a lot of things online, but I really do find it cheaper that way. I try to buy the amount the on-line store requires for free shipping that way I have money in my pocket. There are also a large variety of Blogs that offer free recipes on-line just print off and your on your way!

A few favourite gluten free baking books:
#1. Gluten-free Baking Classics by Annalise G. Roberts,
#2. Gluten-free baking by Rebecca Reilly,
#3. Great Gluten-free Baking by Louise Blair
#4. Complete Gluten-free cookbook by Washburn and Butt. They have the best bread recipes I've ever tried making!

I figure that just because we are away from home doesn't mean we have to spend money we wouldn't have if we stayed at home.

#3. Organizing: Okay, all that being said...Before we leave on vacation I make a loaf of bread, cheese crackers, a cookie or muffin. This type of preparation works when on a trip for a week or so in a hotel room with a kitchenette. Camping that's a whole other blog post! (Stay Tuned!!!)

#4. I bring apples, bananas, grapes, kiwi, plums and peaches when in season and strawberries, blueberries and pineapple or a melon. I also pack veggies for snacks or salads like carrots, lettuces, red peppers, cucumber and green beans. For snack and treat time I will buy G-Free chocolate bars, chips, and candy.

#5. When a kitchenette is available and we are at the vacation spot I will go to the local grocery store and buy eggs, cheese, canned or frozen veggies and fruit, meats, potatoes and rice to cook up for lunch and/or supper. It makes it simple, easy, fast and Gluten-Free!

Who says Gluten Free isn't tasty? All that sounds good to me! I think the most important thing to remember is that foods come in natural form so buy them in that state rather than the processed, pre-packaged junk that is not healthy for our bodies anyway!

#6. I locate the G-Free restaurants in the area if on occasion we decided to eat out I am prepared. For example Wendy's, Pizza Nova and Kelsey's are all popular and easily found in most of Canada.

Here are some exapmles of what I purchase on a monthly basis and make sure I am not without on vacation! P.S. The Cocoa Loco chocolate bars from Enjoy Life are the best treat! I love them!!!! Yum Yum, even my kids (teenagers) will eat them!
Enjoy Life Cocoa Loco Chewy On The Go Bars, Gluten, Dairy & Nut Free, 5-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)Pamela's Products Amazing Wheat Free & Gluten-free Bread Mix, 4-Pound Bags (Pack of 3)Chocolate Chex Cereal, Gluten Free, 14.25-Ounce Box (Pack of 6)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Your ideas, feedback & stories are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Western Gal